Pros and Cons of Last-Minute Adoptions & How They Work
Unplanned pregnancies are difficult to endure. As a result of this, you may go back and forth on what you choose to do with your pregnancy. This is completely understandable, common, and manageable. As a birth mother in Arizona, your choices are never limited. If you are pregnant and don’t want the baby, it is easy to contact Adoption Choices of Arizona and get the process started to place your baby. Choosing adoption later in pregnancy or even after your child is born is considered a “last-minute adoption.”
We are a local, licensed agency with nearly twelve years of experience. We are amongst the adoption agencies in Arizona that provide full-service adoption support. In our years, we have seen many last-minute adoptions. We know how they work and the upsides and downsides of this option. We want you to be the most informed you possibly can be when making the decision to place a baby for adoption.
How Does Last-Minute Adoption Work?
The adoption process looks a little different when adoptions are completed last minute. Since you are nearing the end of your pregnancy, there is less time than usual to create an adoption plan. That does not mean that the details of your adoption will not be covered. If you are seeking a last-minute adoption, the very first thing you should do is get in contact with Adoption Choices of Arizona. We will assign a specialist to your case who can guide you in the right direction, depending on where you are in your pregnancy. If you have yet to give birth, we will work on creating a birth plan, choosing an adoptive family, and choosing the type of adoption you’d like. We will also discuss any financial support you may qualify for during or after your pregnancy.
Additionally, we can lead you toward post-adoption support. If you are in the hospital and have already given birth, you still have the option of choosing your adoptive family. We have a wide variety of waiting families. We are likely to have a family that fits your vision for your child’s future. These families know about the possibility of adoption from the hospital. They have been waiting a long time for a child, so we make sure that our families are able to make it to the hospital if a last-minute adoption occurs. There will never be a shortage of a family ready to take in your child. With the support of an adoption agency like us, your adoption can still be detailed and done correctly, even when chosen at the last minute.
Pros of a Last-Minute Adoption
- You are receiving the same adoption care, just accelerated – the good news about last-minute adoption is that we do not provide less-than care for those who choose this route. You are still receiving great support through Adoption Choices of Arizona. You still have access to financial support, counseling, and legal support when placing your baby for adoption at the last minute. It may even feel less stressful since we are completing the process at a faster pace. You are still entitled to the same support that a mother who chose adoption at one month pregnant is guaranteed.
- You have a great support system through adoption agencies – An adoption agency is a fantastic choice when pursuing this for your child. Adoption agencies in Arizona know all about adoptions at every stage. Our team is compassionate and thorough.
- You are not closing the door on open adoption – Open adoption is still available when you choose to place your baby for adoption from the hospital. You are not giving up the opportunity to see your child again. If you do not want to have continued contact with your child, that is totally fine. Semi-open and closed adoptions are still on the table for you.
- It may be emotionally easier to choose to adopt at the last minute – For some mothers, it may feel less emotional to choose adoption at this stage. If you have decided last minute, you may not have spent a lot of time stewing over the decision. The last-minute decision may feel like a gut decision, and that’s okay. If you are not ready to be a parent or if you simply do not want to be, you may know in your heart that adoption is the best route for your future.
Cons of a Last-Minute Adoption
- There is less time to plan – Since adoption can be chosen from the very beginning of pregnancy, there is less time to plan when you choose at the end. You may feel rushed or that every detail is not being covered.
- You have less time to bond with the adoptive family – Many women who choose open adoption choose to bond with the adoptive family before giving birth. This helps them envision a happy life for their child and maintain a relationship post-placement.
- You have less time to receive adoption counseling during pregnancy – Adoption counseling is available for you throughout your pregnancy. You may feel more emotionally prepared if you have more time to process these emotions.
- You may feel like you made a “snap” decision – It’s possible that you will feel like your decision was rushed if you made it at the last moment. This is not to say that it was the wrong decision, but it’s important that you feel confident in your choice. Placing a baby for adoption is a big decision that requires a lot of consideration. If you do not have proper time to do so, you may feel regret, confusion, or wonder about the other options.
- Your adoption specialist does not know your situation as well – An adoption specialist is able to really get to know you if you choose adoption early on. They will learn every detail of your situation, what your goals are for the adoption, and so on. This will lead to a strong relationship between you and your specialist. You can develop trust with this person and know that your case is in good hands. You may not feel this same trust if this is a person you have not been working with for a long time.
You Can Choose Adoption at Any Point in Your Unplanned Pregnancy
All in all, there is no correct decision on whether or not a last-minute adoption is right for you. There are many unknown factors in unplanned pregnancies, and it’s an important decision to know what’s right for you and your child’s future. At Adoption Choices of Arizona, we are here to assist you in making your decision and completing the process in the best way possible. Since 2011, we have been proving that birth mothers, their children, and adoptive families are important to us. We want you to feel confident and happy in your decision to place your baby for adoption in Arizona. If you are in Arizona and considering a last-minute adoption and would like to learn more, get in contact with us, and we are more than happy to answer any questions.