AZ Transracial Adoptions: How it Could Work for You
By Jessica Hall
Birth mothers have an incredible opportunity to help create a loving family. But unfortunately, there are many families waiting to hear back from adoption agencies in Arizona with news of being selected. At Adoption Choices of Arizona, we help create incredible matches for birth mothers and adoptive families. We’re proud of the hundreds of successful matches we’ve created that have developed incredible, loving homes. Some of these include multiracial adoptions.
As we progress as a nation, interracial relationships have increasingly become the norm. And more and more families feel they can care for any child, regardless of race. Birth mothers of today need to consider this option before they place the baby for adoption. Because there will always be the option to choose a family that may not be the same race as you. However, they may also be a fantastic match. Below, we’ll go through the types of adoptions available and the qualities to consider for AZ transracial adoptions.
Types of Adoption in Arizona
No matter the race of those involved, there will always be three types of available adoptions. Whichever type of adoption is chosen will create the framework for your adoption plan. This means that no two adoptions are the same. One open adoption may look very different than another open adoption.
- Open Adoption: This is an adoption where the birth mother and the adoptive family continue direct contact with each other. Personal information will also be shared. This includes full names, medical information, and more. They also may be allowed to share specific items such as presents and photos.
- Semi-Open Adoption: Similar to open adoption, semi-open adoptions include the sharing of personal information. However, any contact between the birth mother and the adoptive family will be mediated through the agency or lawyer.
- Closed Adoption: This adoption type is best for those who don’t want to share or receive any personal information. The birth mother and the adoptive family may never actually meet.
3 Adoptive Family Qualities to Consider in Your Adoption Plan
Focusing on qualities instead of the family’s race provides a better opportunity to find a family that matches the listed requirements. There may be the perfect family out there, but they might just look different than you and the baby. If there are specific concerns with having a transracial or transcultural adoption, consider these three things:
- Religious Background: If a specific religious background is important to you, it’s always good to list this as a requirement. There are people of all races who celebrate a variety of religions.
- Adaptability: If the family is a different race, are they able to adapt to the baby’s needs? Are they able to care for the potentially different hair types?
- Openness: Being from a different background usually means that there will be things the other doesn’t understand. They didn’t have those experiences. However, it can create a strong bond if someone is open to learning new things and widening their worldview. You also have to be open to learning their way of doing things or points of view.
How the Matching Process Works in an Arizona Adoption
Whether you choose to proceed with a multiracial adoption, the matching process remains the same. We have protocols in all of our Adoption agencies in Arizona that help ensure a family is fit to be an adoptive home. Your dedicated adoption counselor will meet with you to create a detailed adoption plan. Then, they will provide you access to an extensive database of these pre-screened, loving families. And may help guide you to top profiles that match your desired adoption details.
Find Unplanned Pregnancy Support
You will always have the final say in whom you place the infant with. That includes whether or not AZ transracial adoptions are considered. Our agency will never pressure you into a decision you feel isn’t for you. We treat you with respect and dignity and ensure you receive the birth mother benefit you need. If you’re ready to start your process with one of the adoption agencies near me, we’re here to help.
For adoption resources or to begin your adoption journey, birth parents can visit us at Adoption Choices of Arizona or call us at 480-900-5520 or text us at 602-922-0408. If you are a prospective adoptive family hoping to adopt a baby, please, instead, visit us here!