Thoughts Birth Parents Have During the Adoption Process
If you are a birth parent experiencing an unplanned pregnancy, you may consider putting your child up for adoption. Placing a baby up for adoption is a process that will naturally come with many questions and concerns; this is perfectly normal. Our staff at Adoption Choices of Arizona understand how confusing a lot of this may be; however, we praise you for even considering such a brave option as adoption.
We’re always here to help!
We aim to provide all birth parents with the necessary information needed for a successful adoption process. Though we strive to make this process as smooth as possible, it’s important to note that it won’t always be easy. Alongside our ongoing support and resources, putting a child up for adoption can be a very rewarding process that ultimately provides your baby with a bright future.
How Do I Place My Baby Up For Adoption?
When considering adoption, one of the first questions many birth parents ask is how you place your baby up for adoption. It is not your responsibility to be an adoption expert because Adoption Choices of Arizona is here to help guide the way. The answer to this question depends on your chosen state and adoption center. As far as most adoption agencies in Arizona, our adoption process is spaced out among ten different steps. We want you to understand the process.
- First, contact us by calling or texting us at 1-480-900-5520 to discuss any questions or concerns you may have initially.
- Schedule a one-on-one meeting to discuss your situation, financial assistance, legal matters, etc.
- Begin working on and completing all necessary paperwork.
- Receive pregnancy care. We will provide resources if you are in a situation where you can’t financially handle it yourself.
- Begin looking at potential families.
- Decide on a family
- Meet the family.
- Communicate with the adoptive family over the pregnancy.
- Give birth
- Post Placement
- What Are The Main Reasons Birth Parents Place A Baby Up For Adoption?
It is common to question whether you should place your baby up for adoption. You may wonder what people will think of you or if they will shame you for making that decision; however, their opinions shouldn’t sway your decision.
Remember that you choose adoption for yourself and your baby, not for anyone else.
Many birth parents’ situations are entirely different, so evaluating your situation is essential as choosing what’s best for you. There are many various reasons behind choosing to place your baby up for adoption, including,
- You want your baby to have a bright and prosperous future; however, you may not be able to provide that.
- You experienced an unplanned pregnancy but still want to finish your education before taking care of a child.
- You feel you are too young to properly raise a baby.
- You are experiencing financial hardships.
- You prefer your child be raised in a two-parent home.
- Your pregnancy was due to a sexual assault.
Thoughts Birth Parents Have During the Adoption Process
1. Will I Get To See My Baby After Placing Them Up For Adoption?
Once you begin putting your adoption plan together, you choose what adoption type you want. You have three adoption types to choose from when putting a child up for adoption. Birth parents can choose from,
- Open adoption
- Semi-open adoption
- Closed adoption
A vast majority of adoptions are often open adoption. Open adoption allows you to choose the family that adopts your baby. Your information will be open for the birth child to have. However, open adoption may look different for everyone. Some open adoptions involve frequent in-person or telephone meetings with the birth child and birth parent.
Semi-open adoptions are an option where all visits between the birth child and parent are mediated, usually through the chosen adoption agency.
Closed adoption is when the birth parent and child have no direct contact with each other after post-placement.
Ultimately, the question of being able to see your baby after the adoption is up to you!
2. How Will I Know I Picked The Right Family?
All birth parents can create their own adoption plan when going through the adoption process. Most importantly, all birth parents discuss what type of home they would want their child raised in. When working with adoption agencies in Arizona, such as Adoption Choices of Arizona, we help you outline what characteristics work best with where you want your child to go. We understand that parents may have particular preferences when it comes to,
- Religious background
- Family dynamics (same-sex, one-parent home, etc.)
- Parenting styles
- Values and morals
In the adoption plan, you can speak with potential family matches and ask them questions based on their lifestyle. Once speaking with different families, you should then be able to pick who aligns more with your preferences.
3. Who Can I Involve In My Adoption Process?
We want to emphasize that you should not have to go through this adoption journey alone. We encourage you to lean on close friends or family for support while you go through the process. Some questions to think about are,
- Is the birth father present and supportive?
- Are your parents or grandparents supporting you?
- Will they support me unconditionally?
However, we understand that not everyone has that support system. If you find yourself without support, our staff at Adoption Choices of Arizona is always here to help whenever you need it. We offer counseling and support even once the adoption is completed.
4. What Are The Benefits Of Placing My Baby Up For Adoption?
If you decide to place your baby up for adoption, you must remember to do it for a reason. Choosing adoption can come with many benefits afterward. When you place a baby up for adoption,
- It may bring you peace of mind knowing the baby is safe, especially if you know you weren’t able to provide for your baby.
- Your child will be brought up in a safe and loving environment.
- You are ultimately helping others by choosing adoption and giving families who have struggled to become parents a chance.
- The adoption plan is in your control when placing a baby up for adoption.
How Much Will Choosing Adoption Cost Me?
Adoption is an option that typically doesn’t cost you a thing. The process is free if you decide to place your baby up for adoption in Arizona. You do not receive compensation if you are a birth mother who places your baby up for adoption. However, we offer financial support to ensure you have everything you need, including groceries, transportation, housing, etc. Suppose you want to begin your adoption journey. For adoption resources or to begin your adoption journey, birth parents can visit us at Adoption Choices of Arizona or call us at or text us at 602-922-0408. If you are a prospective adoptive family hoping to adopt a baby, please, instead, visit us here!