LGBTQ+ Adoption in AZ: Choosing an LGBTQ+ Couple to Adopt your Baby in Arizona
By Isabelle Sitchon
Choosing a family for your baby can be one of the hardest decisions to make in the adoption process. As a birth mother, you want to see your baby go hand in hand with loving, adoptive parents. It’s important to go over your options with an adoption specialist to ensure this happens. They will give you resources and information about several different family profiles, including an LGBTQ+ adoption in AZ.
At Adoption Choices of Arizona, we are an LGBTQ+ friendly agency. We proudly work with families who come in all different shapes and sizes. Each of our families can provide a safe, loving home for your child–regardless of their background. However, you might ask: are they the right fit for my baby? When you decide to place your baby for adoption, our professionals at our center will consult you and answer any questions you have about finding the right family.
If you need adoption help now, please call or text us at 1-480-900-5520 or visit us at Adoption Choices of Arizona.
First Steps in the Adoption Process
Before you settle on a family, you will be deciding on the type of adoption you want. Your choice determines the openness and degree of communication you will have with the adoptive family. When you contact our adoption agencies in Arizona, a counselor will fully inform you about your options! We want you to understand the process and get unplanned pregnancy help. The categories of adoption fall into:
- Open Adoption: This type of adoption means that the birth mother and the adoptive parents will be in close contact. Open adoption allows you to choose the family that adopts your baby. In this situation, the birth mother may receive updates on how their child is doing while with the family. This can be done through phone calls, letters, pictures, and even scheduled visits. If both parties agree, the birth mother can also stay in contact with her child.
- Semi-open Adoption: In these cases, most of the communication is usually done through our adoption agency. While this option may be more limited in connection, the birth mother can still receive updates about their child’s well-being. Additionally, the two parties may still communicate through other methods of contact.
- Closed Adoption: For this option, there is little communication between the birth mother and the adoptive parents. While this choice is less common, it provides a degree of anonymity for the mother if she desires to do so.
Placing Your Child in an LGBTQ+ Home
In today’s generation, families are not just traditional heterosexual couples. Despite this, there are still many controversies surrounding LGBTQ+ adoptions. We want to assure you that we don’t discriminate against anyone regarding their race, gender, religion, or identity at our adoption agencies. It is common to all of our families’ willingness to love your child. Here are some qualities that adoptive LGBTQ+ families have.
- Your child will be in a safe environment. For LGBTQ+ couples, adopting a child may be the only way to raise a family. They will truly cherish your child and ensure that they are secure in their home. Additionally, all of our adoptive families must go through an extensive screening process and background check.
- They’ll grow up in an accepting and understanding home. Gay or same-sex couples might know what it’s like to not be accepted by others. It’s what makes them all the more understanding towards your child. Whether your child faces mental health issues or problems regarding their identity, LGBTQ+ families will be there for them.
- They’ll learn more about the world and the different kinds of people. With an LGBTQ+ adoptive family, your child will be exposed to many different life perspectives. Most likely, they will be immersed in several communities, especially LGBTQ+ ones. As they grow, your child will develop a passion and appreciation for the people around them. This can translate into their moral character and mental well-being in the future.
- Most importantly, your child will be in loving arms. An LGBTQ+ family will make sure to love your child with all their heart. Together, they will share memories to help your child grow into a happy and healthy person. They will be there with them in their journey and their supportive communities.
The Next Step in Choosing an Adoptive Family
We understand that this is a very important decision to make. Our counselors at Adoption Choices of Arizona will assist you in finding the right adoptive family. We will introduce you to family profiles after working on your adoption plan. However, it’s important to know that you are fully controlling this decision. If you have any preferences or concerns, your specialist will work with you to address them.
Resources and Help During Your Adoption Process
It is normal to feel overwhelmed during this time in the process. You may struggle to find the perfect family for your child. You might also feel judged or guilty because you consider putting your baby for adoption. If you are going through hardship, we have several resources at our adoption center. Your adoption counselor is not only here to help you through your paperwork but listen to your problems in the process.
The adoption journey is unique to each person, and we are always here to help you. For adoption resources or to begin your adoption journey, birth parents can visit us at Adoption Choices of Arizona or call or text us at 1-480-900-5520. If you are a prospective adoptive family hoping to adopt a baby, please instead, visit us here!