What Does “Giving Baby Up for Adoption” Mean in AZ?
You’ve likely found this article because you are searching for information about how to give up your baby for adoption. You’ve likely noticed too, that we have “giving baby up for adoption” in quotation marks. Why? While “giving up your baby” is a very common way to talk about adoption and the more familiar language women like you are using to find this kind of information, there’s actually a harmful misconception embedded in that type of language. One of our goals at Adoption Choices of Arizona is to make sure we provide online resources for you that you can find but also to educate you on positive adoption language.
If you need adoption help now, please call or text us at 1-480-900-5520 or visit us at Adoption Choices of Arizona.
Arizona Adoption Options
Today’s adoptions are very different from adoptions of the past. Before the 1980’s, if a woman was facing an unplanned pregnancy she usually had very little control in the adoption process. These pregnancies were often kept hidden or secret, even leaving town to have place her baby for adoption in secret. She had no idea who the adoptive family was or where her child would spend his/her life. This process was mostly referred to as “giving baby up for adoption”. Women had very little emotional support, very few choices, limited counseling for grief and loss, and so many unanswered questions.
Fortunately, these days are over and the phrase “give baby up for adoption” is becoming a thing of the past; only used to help women like you find information. Today, placing a baby for adoption is a CHOICE. And with Adoption Choices of Arizona, you are in control. When working with our licensed agency, we know it’s important for you to understand a few things:
- You are not giving up. Some women view “giving up” a baby for adoption as giving up on themselves or their child but this isn’t the case at all. Adoption is a loving decision that allows you to take control of your life and your baby’s future.
- You are in control. This is your adoption plan, which means you will have the final say in nearly every aspect of the adoption process.
- You select the adoptive parents. As a prospective birth mother, you can decide what you are looking for in an adoptive family and choose your perfect parents for your baby. You will also have the opportunity to get to know them before placement, through an open adoption agreement, as well as communication through the pregnancy and post adoption.
- You can keep in touch with your child. With this open or semi-open adoption, placement is not the end of your relationship with your baby; it is just the beginning! You can know your child through his/her life. Your connection with the family will be established together and you might agree on regular photo sharing, letters, calls, or even in person visits.
- You are never obligated to continue. You have the right to change your mind and discontinue the adoption process at any point during your pregnancy. Your adoption decision does not become final until you have legally consented to the adoption (signed the relinquishment paperwork) and your revocation period has passed.
- You are entitled to emotional support. Adoption is an emotional process, and you are entitled to free, professional counseling services. There is grief and loss involved with adoption with the right support not only is it manageable and understandable but you can recover and heal, proud of giving your child his best life possible.
The adoption process in Arizona is slightly different for every woman. Again, this is because you are in control of nearly every aspect! So depending on what you need during your pregnancy and what you want for your adoption plan, your journey will be unique. If you are considering adoption for your baby, you may want to speak with our professionals to learn more. You can contact us online at any time, text, or call us when you are ready. For adoption resources or to begin your adoption journey, birth parents can visit us at Adoption Choices of Arizona or call or text us at 1-480-900-5520. If you are a prospective adoptive family hoping to adopt a baby, please instead, visit us here!