Adoption 101: What is the Adoption Process in AZ?
Adoption is a thorough process when a child, before or after birth, is legally placed in the care of another family. That said family shall raise them as their own child, though in some cases they have no family relation. Due to adoption being a delicate situation that involves the safety and love of a child, the process is taken heavily seriously with the court system involved.
Adoption Choices of Arizona can assist any birth mother, including yourself if you are putting your child up for adoption. We understand this may be your first pregnancy meaning this will be the first time you ever came upon adoption. You may have heard of it and know the basics of what it is, but experiencing it is completely different. That is why we are here to assist and teach you about the process of adoption while you are putting your unplanned baby up for adoption.
Here we are against anyone, including yourself saying you are “giving your baby up for adoption” because you are not. If someone is telling you that you are, they are wrong. You are providing your baby with a better life and, in the process, being selfless.
What is the Adoption Process?
The Arizona adoption process is lengthy, depending upon the case. Here at Adoption Choices of Arizona, it doesn’t matter if you are 6 weeks pregnant or 32 weeks pregnant, we can serve you. As we like to say, “It’s Never too Late to Choose Adoption.” But, our adoption process is very well explained and managed in order to accommodate your schedule.
- Step 1: Call or text us at any hour of the day with our servicing open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. You can also contact us with any questions beforehand if you can not call or text us right at the moment.
- Step 2: You are to schedule a meeting with a designated adoption specialist that will be handling your case. The meeting time will be at your chosen time and in any form of contact that you are comfortable with: video chat, text, call, or in person. We can actually come to you if need be! During the meeting, if you are in need of financial support for housing, counseling, legal or medical support, or more please notify your adoption specialist. We are always happy to help!
- Step 3: If you are serious about the adoption of your child, you will be given the necessary paperwork. You will need to fill out the paperwork, and you, along with your assigned specialist, will go over the paperwork together. If you have any questions, never hesitate to ask because we are always open to answering them.
- Step 4: As said above, if you are struggling financially, that could mean you are homeless, in need of medical support, or more, we can assist you! Also, we will help you find a great doctor if needed during your pregnancy to meet your needs. Your adoption caseworker will discuss your needs while picking the best adoption plan for you. To be clear, you pick the adoption plan.
- Step 5: After all the necessary paperwork has been taken into account, you will be able to choose your type of adoption: closed, semi-open, and open. You will then be provided parent profiles based on your preferences. We suggest you pick the family that best fits the qualities you want them to possess in order to raise your child. If you don’t like any of the profiles we provided you, then we will give you more! During this process, your caseworker will help you while picking the family!
- Step 6: You will then meet the family if you are to pursue open adoption. Otherwise, your specialist will work as a facilitator between yourself and the family.
- Step 7: During your pregnancy, it is vital that you stay healthy, so attending appointments is important in order to be prescribed the necessary medications if needed. Also, keep in touch for the sake of the adoption and just for moral support. At Adoption Choices of Arizona, we support every birth mother that comes here.
- Step 8: When it comes to the birth of your child, you are in full control of the birth and hospital plan with the support of your adoption caseworker. Your adoption caseworker shall be there to support and advocate for you during the necessary moment.
- Step 9: You will be given a date and time set by your specialist for you to relinquish your rights. But, the baby shall leave the hospital with his/her adoptive parents.
- Step 10: After the delivery of your child, the communication between yourself and us will not be expunged. We will continue to cover your expenses six months after your birth. After your child is adopted and in the care of someone else, it might be a tough time for you. We can provide you with therapy. Also, depending on your adoption plan, you and the adoptive family of your child will have a form of communication that you both will agree upon.
As a licensed adoption agency, our goal is to see you and your baby prosper in life. Never hesitate to ask us for help or more because we will do so!
How Should I Prepare for the Process of Adoption as a Birth Mother?
There are never any exact words about ways in which to prepare yourself for the adoption process as the birth mother. As we are always honest, the adoption process may be mentally detrimental to you because of the negative thoughts that can arise. Also, with the negative stigma and people that may not be supporting you though they are around you, it can be mentally draining. To add on, if this is your first time, your experiences are different from other birth mothers.
We can tell you that you don’t have to prepare for the adoption process alone if you come to us. As a private adoption agency in Arizona, we are also a support system as well. Not to mention, we provide counseling during the pregnancy if needed. Just tell us.
Our Goal is to Build Families Through Adoption While Servicing You
Adoption Choices of Arizona is here for you at any moment! As an adoption agency, we are looking to help you build as an individual while helping another couple build a family. Having been founded in 2011, we are a local private adoption agency in Arizona with well-experienced staff. If you have any questions, please contact us as soon as possible. We are always open to anything you would like answered.
For adoption resources or to begin your adoption journey, birth parents can visit us at Adoption Choices of Arizona or call or text us at 1-480-900-5520. If you are a prospective adoptive family hoping to adopt a baby, please instead, visit us here!
Meet the Author: Imani Agbionu is a recent graduate from George Mason University, earning her Bachelor of Science in Marketing. With a history in writing for her former university’s online publication, Her Campus, she aspires to become a successful journalist who can provide for herself and her family. She is from Washington, DC, where she has lived her whole life, but one day wants to move to experience and call another state home. Her mother is from Washington, DC, and her father is from Nigeria, part of the Igbo tribe. As an introvert, she loves streaming platforms, with her favorites being HBO Max, Netflix, and Disney+. Unfortunately, she can’t pick one due to all playing a vital role in her life on a daily basis. She enjoys reading, with her favorite book being The Shining by Stephen King, which she sees as unusual since she is a fearful person that avoids horror at all costs. Listening to music is a vital mechanism that helps her stay calm and deal with her anxiety at times.
As an inspiring Journalist, she likes to write about a plethora of topics that some may look at as controversial, but she believes in staying true to herself. She doesn’t mind having conversations with people as long as opinions are being respected.