Expectant Parent Call or Text 1-480-900-5520
Adoptive Parent Call or Text 1-480-999-4788
Serving Expectant Parents Statewide With Offices located in:
Phoenix | Flagstaff | Tuscon

Women take so many different factors into consideration when considering adoption for their unborn child. One consideration they make that is often overlooked is how the child might feel about being adopted later in life. What is it like being adopted and growing up as an adopted child? Is it any different from being raised in a traditional family? Is it better or worse? Will my child be happy? And as happy as non-adoptive children?

The most recent studies show that adopted children grow up to be as happy and healthy as their peers. In some instances, they even seem to have more advantages and opportunities than children in the general population. Even more valuable for the expectant mother considering adoption, through open adoption, adopted children can especially benefit from healthy relationships and continued communication with their birth parents throughout their lives.

A report conducted by the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services may put to rest many of the arguments or concerns about adoption’s impact on children being adopted. The report, titled “Adoption USA,” was compiled from data from the National Survey of Adoptive Parents, a federal survey of 2,000 families that adopted children from foster care, internationally, or through private domestic adoption. Learn more about private domestic adoption by calling our Adoptive Parent Hotline.
Call or Text 1-480-999-4788

The report found that 85% of adopted children are in excellent or very good health, and that adopted children are more likely to have health insurance than children in the general population. Also, children being adopted were less likely to live in households below the poverty threshold.

The report also found a few other benefits of adopted children:

  • Adopted children were more likely to be read to every day as a young child (68% of adopted children vs. 48% of children in the general population).
  • Adopted children were more likely to be sung or told stories to every day as a young child (73% of adopted children vs. 59% of children in the general population).
  • Adopted children are more likely to participate in extracurricular activities as school-age children (85% of adopted children vs. 81% of children in the general population).
  • More than half of adopted children were reported to have excellent or very good performance in reading, language arts and math.

Findings also included statistics regarding the openness of adoption, showing a strong trend supporting notions that adoptive families are increasingly becoming more comfortable with more open adoptions. 67% of respondents reported having a pre-adoption agreement regarding openness (such as visits or phone calls with the birth family) and 68% of adoptive families reported post-adoption contact with the birth family (such as an exchange of letters, emails or visits after the adoptive placement). Furthermore, the study found that nearly all – 97 percent – of adopted children ages 5 and older know they were adopted.

Furthermore, another study, from the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute titled “Openness in Adoption”, reports that only 5% of today’s adoptions are closed, and the remaining 95% are open or semi-open adoptions. The study also cites benefits for adopted children who have continued contact with and access to their birth parents after they are adopted.

Contact with birth families allows adopted children to maintain access to medical, genealogical, and family histories. Youth in open adoptions also have a better understanding of the meaning of adoption and more active communication about adoption with their adoptive parents.

  • Adopted teens who had open and semi-open adoptions described a range of benefits including:
    • coming to terms with the reasons for their adoption.
    • having physical touchstones to identify where personal traits came from.
    • having information that aided in identity formation.
    • having positive feelings toward their birth mother.

The happiness of adopted children can be linked to the healthy development of their identity. Children being adopted and growing up adopted who feel secure in their relationship with their adoptive family and can also come to terms with their adoption are able to lead happy, healthy and well-adjusted lives. Adoption Choices of Arizona screens and selects our adoptive families to ensure adopted children will be raised in safe homes with attentive parents who can provide opportunities for their children.

If you are ready to learn more, speak to one our compassionate professionals anytime by calling or texting us:
Expectant Parent Call or Text 1-480-900-5520
Adoptive Parent Call or Text 1-480-999-4788

Share