Staring down at a positive home pregnancy test can come as a shock; especially if the pregnancy is unplanned. If you find yourself in this situation and are unsure whether you are ready to be a parent, know that you have choices and help is available to you.
Once you have learned you are pregnant:
- Know that you are not alone – Almost half of all pregnancies are unexpected.
- Know that you do have choices – Women facing an unexpected pregnancy have choices: raise the child, end the pregnancy, or place the child for adoption.
- You should immediately confirm your pregnancy with a doctor – Before you take any measures, you should confirm your pregnancy with a doctor. From there, you can determine what your next steps are.
- Know that feelings of shock, anger, and depression are normal – An unexpected pregnancy can bring on a wide range of emotions, all of which are normal at this stage. As you cope with this sudden life change, give yourself time to process all of your thoughts and feelings.
- Decide when and how to talk about your unplanned pregnancy – While keeping your unwanted pregnancy a secret is an option, it is usually recommended that you share the information with those close to you when you feel comfortable. By hiding your pregnancy, you may deprive yourself of much-needed support from family or close friends.
- Understand there are many places to go for support – You can find a variety of support groups and professionals like Adoption Choices of Arizona to help you during this time.
Remember, Adoption Choices of Arizona social workers are always available to answer your questions and provide the support and resources you need at 1-480-900-5520. We can help you explore all of your unplanned pregnancy options, not just adoption, for free and with no obligation. We will never pressure you nor judge your decisions.